I apologize for the extensive break from blogging. I had a really, really weird couple of weeks. It's a long story that honestly doesn't need rehashing here, but it was a trying time for me. Coupled with the culture shock and homesickness, it was hard not to run away back home. But I came out of it, and as a result of the situation became closer with many of my fellow foreign teachers in Jeomchon and my coteacher Sister Pia, and while I will no longer be teaching at Asan Middle School (one of my rural schools) I have now had an elementary school added to my schedule, which is awesome because I'm so excited to work with the little kids!
Because I had to watch the administrations of two schools react to a troublesome situation, I did have an interesting look into a side of Korean culture that I hadn't seen yet. It was fascinating but extremely frustrating. At orientation we were taught about "collectivist" societies, about the importance of Confucianism and hierarchies to the smooth functioning of Korean life. But I hadn't totally wrapped my mind around it until I was in a situation where it felt detrimental to me, and where I could truly feel the clash between cultures. I would get furious with the principal at Asan Middle School because although there was an issue that needed to be dealt with, she was most concerned with saving face for herself, for the school, and for everyone involved. But I didn't just want it swept under the rug, I wanted a solution. I didn't care if it made someone look bad. When I asked if maybe we should just let the Office of Education deal with it, I was told that they didn't want to get too many people involved. In Korea, everyone goes through whatever channels they can to make the least trouble for anyone. Because the wrongdoing by one person not only reflects badly on that person, but more importantly, reflects badly on the school that person works for, their family, their community, and ultimately, in this situation, the nation of Korea. It sounds extreme, but I honestly had so many people apologize to me on behalf of Korea, like this one person's actions could be traced back to all of them. There's collectivism for you!
It also made me realize how troubling these hierarchies can be when you're at the bottom of the food chain but you want to be heard. Luckily, I have a somewhat special position as a foreigner. But I still felt like I had no say in the situation and that those who were older or in higher positions within the school, including the person who wronged me, had all the power to influence the decision making. And sprinkle in a little bit of good old Korean sexism and it was nearly impossible for me to keep my cool and stay culturally sensitive.
Luckily, as usual, Sister Pia is the coolest woman alive and came to my rescue 100%. The situation was dealt with in a manner completely satisfactory to me in the end, but thank god I had an older nun on my side, who wields a certain amount of power that many others do not. I truly wonder what the outcome of this situation would have been if I had had an extremely young coteacher as my advocate....
Anyway, I'll do my best to stop disappearing for extended periods of time from here on out!
And now... I close with a little tribute to Asan Middle School as I will no longer be teaching there. I'll miss my kids out there very much :(
Asan Middle School, out in the mountains
My students (6 of the 8 total) playing Kai, Bai, Bo (paper, rock scissors) which is an absolute favorite among Korean children.
The cow outside my classroom that ruins all my lessons!
The road back to Jeomchon....
Holy cow, that really was out in the sticks!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are so amazing and brave. Well endured.