Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Korean Driver's License Fiasco

Last week I had midterms, and as I'll be inheriting the nun-mobile any day now, Sister Pia felt that my down time would be best spent pursuing my Korean driver's license. On Tuesday I took a whirlwind trip to Seoul and back to visit the U.S. Embassy and get a notarized paper stating that my American license was real. Then on Wednesday, we went to the DMV. I was told I'd just have to swap my license for a Korean one, that it was a very simple process.

There's something comforting/infuriating about the fact that the DMV in Korea is essentially the exact same place as the DMV in America. Honestly, if the signage were in English I would've thought I was instantly transported back home. It has the same frustratingly long lines. The same number system to wait your turn. The same unenthusiastic employees who seem to be on a mission to make your life that much more unbearable for the 2 hours that you're trapped with them.

When we first walked in we took a number and waited forever. When we were finally called, Sister Pia explained my situation in Korean and then handed over my notarized document, alien registration card, WA driver's license, and passport. The woman flipped through every page of my passport for nearly 20 minutes. She read every stamp. Then she got angry with me because I had a stamp that said December 16 2006 for US Immigration but didn't have any stamp to accompany it. My driver's license was issued December 29, 2006, so she was suddenly all upset about this. I told her, first of all, that the stamp said "Admitted" which means I would have been in the U.S. from December 16 on, so it's not like I got my license from somewhere abroad or something. But she was angry that there was no departure stamp. I couldn't remember at the time what the stamp was from, I thought maybe Mexico or Canada since they never stamp my passport upon arrival.

She was fighting with Sister Pia forever, and I was getting extremely irritated at this point.  Who does this woman think she is?? She's not immigration. The Korean government had clearly deemed that I was fit for a work visa and alien status so I'm pretty certain they don't need a DMV worker trying to do their job. Also, I had just paid $30 the day before to get that stupid document from the embassy stating that my license was real. What was she trying to prove? (**I later realized that the Admitted stamp was from my return from my semester in Prague, which makes sense because the stamp for my departure would have been much earlier in my passport pages).

Anyway, Sister Pia must have been convincing because she finally cleared me to stand in yet another line to get a physical examination.  Then I was told to come back the next day and take a written test. I didn't think I had to take one, and was a bit worried, but the woman said it's really easy and in English.

On Thursday I came to the DMV again to take my written test. We had to come one hour early for god knows what reason, and again sat and waited.  You have assigned seating for the test and all the desks are numbered. I was in seat 99. The next closest person was in seat 30 or so. I was so far away from everyone else, like somehow the English test gave me leprosy! I drew a little chart for Sister Pia of my seating in relation to everyone else:



Anyway, I wish I could have stolen a copy of this test just so you could witness how horrible the English was. It's like someone put the original Korean test through an online translator and called it good. I had only 20 minutes to finish it and I spent every second of it trying to decipher the meaning of each question. Here's a few examples that I can remember:

"When you see hit and run, what is the least factor you remember?"

Ummm.... okay. Does this mean the least important factor, as in the correct choice is the one that is okay to forget? Or does it mean you should at least remember this factor? As in, choose the most important thing. Sigh.

Or how about:

"As a driver it is your duty to....."

a. chase down cars that you know to be stolen if you see them on the road.
b. stop other cars with music too loud and passengers dancing.

Either way, in Korea it is now my duty as a driver to become law enforcement or the fun police.

You only need a 60 to pass the test in Korea (explains a lot about the driving here...), which with a multiple choice test put the odds somewhat in my favor, but I failed with a 55%. It wouldn't have been so demoralizing if all my coteachers hadn't treated me like I obviously must not know how to drive. I'll have you know that I've been driving longer than most of you (many people in Korea don't get their license until much later in life) and have never had an accident or a ticket in my life. Now the planet's worste drivers are looking down their nose and judging my driving ability?? And all because the English test was a vague approximation to the actual English language. I fumed about this to myself on the car ride home, as our driver nearly collided with a semi truck while digging in his pocket for his cell phone.

Yesterday I was off to the the DMV to brave the test again. This time I had a much friendlier test administrator who let me sit up front with the rest of humanity. He also spoke a bit of English and explained the rules to me which was nice. I mean, it was your basic fill in the bubble standardized test, but still, it was nice that he wanted to make sure I knew what was going on. The test I got this time was slightly more intelligible. I needed 12 out of 20 questions right to pass, and I felt pretty confident about at least 10 questions. After the test they make you wait in this little room for half an hour for the results. I wasn't all that nervous, just trying to formulate a plan to get my international drivers license instead if this didn't work out, but the nerves of the people I was trapped in that room with were wearing off on me. I guess the average person here takes this test four or five times before passing. I would not waste another day of my life in this office.

Luckily, I wouldn't have to. I PASSED! I mean, I didn't know if I passed or not until I found my handler downstairs since they stamp the test in Korean.  I have no idea what my percentage was this time, but I don't really care. I'm just so happy it's over with.  They stamped my test with 80 different stamps (this place is the epidomy of beaurocracy) and sent me on my way with a shiny new drivers license! Now it's time to start plotting my roadtrips :)

No comments:

Post a Comment